July 08, 2014

My dear sadness

My dear sadness,

Just recently I read some piece by Frida Kahlo; “I drank to drown my sorrows, but the damned things learned how to swim.” These words took me to think about some things in the darkest of the alleys, about an emotion we dread to face; the most unappreciated and the most misunderstood emotion that we face; the emotion of sadness.

As we all want to come out of it, there are times when we want to relish those solitary tears. Sadness is the only emotion with us when we are lonely.  We think we can find peace and joy in its absence, but it is the reason why we appreciate.

It’s ok to be sad, it’s ok to feel the pain, and it’s OK to be lonely. It’s a reassurance of being human and a gentle reminder that I am just a human.

I have begun to understand what Tolstoy wrote and the background behind the most talked about opening lines of a book in a literary world. In his famous book Anna Karenina he writes "Happy families are all alike, but every unhappy family is unhappy in it's own way". There is diversity in sadness, and diversity is good. Happiness looks the same. Sadness has an individuality, a persona. It helps you grow, to create, to achieve; to go beyond self. It keeps you grounded. 

Happiness is a high.
The way towards happiness is much better than the destination itself. 

Dear sadness, yes, you matter a lot. Good that you've learnt to swim and thanks for being there for me!

1 comment:

  1. Very True..actually I never looked at sadness like this !!

    ReplyDelete